In addition to the suggestions mentioned previously, the following steps are recommended to get your pond through the winter.
- Remove any dead leaves, pine needles or any other organic debris that may have fallen into your pond.
- Consider putting a net over the pond. It can save you a lot of time.
- Stop feeding the fish when the temperature drops below 55 degrees (Fahrenheit).
- Shut off the biological filter and replace it with a heater if you have fish.
- In northern climates, all tropical plants must be removed or treat them as annuals (consult your local grower for specific care).
- Remove any pond treatment when the temperature falls below 50 degrees.
- Leave your MacCourt lawn pond filled with water.